Sunday, October 19, 2008

The first real project . . .

After all the little learning tasks from the tutorials, that can't really be called a project, I have now decided to begin my first real program in C++. It's gonna be a little game and I don't want to create something from scratch. This is rather meant to be an extended practice.

The requirements for this project are:
- It has to be a nice little game, with a relatively simple algorithm.
- The game engine itself has to be an encapsulated API, that serves the outer world with all the necessary information and methods do display and control the game. In this way, the game can easily be ported from one engine to another.
- It should serve a C++ graphics engine to provide a graphical user interface!

After some consideration, I decided to develop

Minesweeper++

Minesweeper is a quite easy game and I already had lots of fun with playing it. I'm gonna keep in in the fuX-Style (fuX is my one-man-company), but the graphical style is something for later on.

Much more important is, how I'm gonna do it step by step. I planned it in the following way:

1. Write the algorithm in a very high language. This is important to me, because I want the whole program logic to be clear, when I start to code, as I'm not really comfortable with C++ at the moment. So I don't want to add logical problems to the language problems, of which I surely will have plenty.

2. Write the game class in C++.

3. Prepare the images for the GUI.

4. Choose a graphics engine.

5. Build the GUI in the graphics engine and link it to the game engine. (alpha)

6. Polish.(beta)

7. Port the game for OSX and Windows and load it up here. (final)


So, let's go for it! =)

No comments: